About the Department of Economic Development
Who We Are
The Department of Economic Development acts as a liaison to forge partnerships between business and government in Roanoke. Our staff is comprised of economic development professionals whose core functions include:
- Business retention and expansion including a variety of incentives and programs
- Engaging the community to both enhance and attract a creative and innovative workforce
- Liaison with other organizations engaged in workforce development and training
- Entrepreneurial development
- Facilitation of commercial and industrial development through business attraction
- Support to the Economic Development Authority and Roanoke Arts Commission
Mission and Vision
Our mission is to foster stable economic growth in the City of Roanoke and provide continuous improvements to the quality of life for its citizens. Implementing innovative workforce and business retention, expansion and recruitment practices and promoting strategic asset developments city-wide will ensure our community and economy remain diverse and vibrant.
The Department of Economic Development’s professional and experienced team is well versed in Economic Development and addressing your business’s needs.